Jeep JKU Tire Carrier from Motobilt
- by Carey Henderson
If you're planning to run larger tires on your Jeep JK, you'll need a much stronger set up to hold your spare tire carrier than the stock carrier. Motobilt has the solution.
The Motobilt spare tire carrier for Jeep JK / JKU is the system you want to handle that large spare tire while strengthening the tailgate hinges, as well as adding more rigidity to your factory Jeep JK tailgate.
Some of the features of the Motobilt tire carrier are:
- 12 mounting points for added strength
- Multiple adjustments both vertically and front to back for optimal tire position.
- Same wheel lug size and thread as stock sizes
- Integrated design allows you to open and close easily with factory door handle.
- Will work with factory bumper or aftermarket bumpers.
- Greasable mounting bolts at pivot points on hinges
- Delrin hinge bushings with steel inner liners
- Includes necessary mounting hardware.
In the video below, watch Alfred Quick from Off Camber Adventures discuss, and then install the Motobilt spare tire carrier. He discusses some issues he had with his Jeep JK unrelated to the tire carrier, but shows you some good methods after to set up and mount the tire carrier.
As Alfred points out, when installing, you'll want to leave some bolts loose so that you can adjust where your spare tire rests to get the perfect setup. And our tire carrier ships raw steel, so you'll want to paint it or powder coat once you receive your own to prevent rust.
Alfred, we appreciate the business and the video. Thank you for choosing Motobilt for your Jeep JKU build.